Friday, April 3, 2015

My Experiences with Google Classroom in Band...pt. 1

Google Classroom has been a great addition to my classes so far!  After seeing it in action at the Michigan Music Conference in January, I began using it right away with my Junior High and High School bands to kick off the second semester.  Students were excited that they could type assignments and didn't have to play their scales for the class anymore.  I was excited to:

  • free up class time from testing on said scales and other playing tests
  • not have to decipher hieroglyphs...I mean handwriting anymore
  • go mostly paperless
  • share links and recordings easily
  • stop schlepping 50-ish listening journals back and forth
  • give students flexibility to finish assignments in their own time
  • have a place for feedback that students might actually read

The above list is what intrigued me about Google Classroom.  While I've only been using it a few months, here are a few ways I've used it:

  • Students have submitted playing test videos.
  • Recorded the ensemble and asked for specific written feedback
  • Gave them options for concerts for our annual Detroit Symphony Orchestra field trip and had them choose which concert they want to attend and provide justification
  • Asked for music suggestions for our Spring Concert.  In the assignment, I left a link for jwpepper.com and gave directions for what information I wanted in their description.  I really liked that they could include a link to a piece they were interested in with their assignment.
  • Supplied them with a youtube link to a piece and had them write a story based on the piece as it happened. 
Some of these are assignments I'd done in the past, but using Google Classroom streamlined the process and saved a few trees.  

Now for some logistics.  We are not yet a 1:1 school, but we are fortunate enough to have a cart of iPads and a cart of Chromebooks.  Many students have their own devices too.  Each time I assign something that requires writing, I make sure to check out devices for them to use during class time.  Due dates are always a week or so after the work is assigned.  For playing assignments, I just leave iPads in the practice rooms.  Students use the first few minutes of class to take turns getting tests done.  Percussionists and large instrument students are the ones who use the iPads in class most often.  Most students have been doing the tests at home with their own devices.

There are a few things I'm looking forward to trying soon too.  A colleague posted in the Facebook Band Directors' Group that she's using it for pre and post assessments.  Students post a video of themselves playing a part, assess their playing, and create a goal and then record a video after certain amount of time.  I'm also hoping to use it to host a discussion in the future, inspired by a Twitter conversation with @mr_stern and @thenerdyteacher.  

Are you using Google Classroom with your performing groups?  How so?  I'm looking for suggestions and ideas!








2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is amazing Amy! I never dreamed of using Google Classroom for a band class. You are so creative! Truly inspiring out of the box thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I claim no credit for the idea, but I'm loving using it!

      Delete