Saturday, February 24, 2018

Adjudication Adventures


I completed my Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association (MSBOA) adjudicator training last December, with the thought that next school year I might hopefully pick up a few middle school judging gigs. Middle school kids are my people and I'm a few years away from my prime playing days where I was regularly practicing and performing the level of music that high school students can play.

Imagine my surprise when I was contacted in January for a high school job on February 3!

Surprise. Excitement. Anticipation. Hesitation. Crippling self doubt. You know, the normal feelings for a first job.

I'm grateful for good friends who were encouraging and reminded me that, regular playing gap aside, I'm still a professional music educator with 20+ years of playing experience and 15 years of teaching flute. Even with the inhumanly outstanding players that will occasionally be assigned my section, there's going to be something I can offer them. And if I can't, I can certainly send them on to the next level (State Festival) to gain feedback from a more experienced judge who can. We all have to start somewhere and what better time than now to take the leap?

Once I got going, the butterflies quickly subsided and I had a blast! It was a lot of fun working with older musicians than my usual crowd and lots of flute technique tips I hadn't thought about in years came back with ease. My room chairperson had only good feedback for me, which I appreciated but I did come across some things I need to keep in mind for next time:

  • I talk too much. I got in a better groove as the day went on, but I was trying to verbally go over everything I'd written. For time's sake (and the sake of their likely overloaded post-performance brains) I need to cut it down.
  • While I'd rather err on the side of too nice rather than too stringent, there were a couple ratings at the end of the day that I think I went the wrong direction on. It always went in the students' favor, but after talking with some more experienced adjudicators, I found myself questioning how much I really helped students by doing so. 
  • Layers. Buildings have weird heat settings on the weekends and the bulk of Solo and Ensemble season directly coincides with Michigan winter. It was hours before I finally got my shoulders away from my ears after hunching up from being cold all day. 
  • My hand hurt at the end of the day from writing so much. I love my mechanical pencils, but may have to find something where I'm not pressing so hard when writing all day. Being warmer might help me be less tense though too.
I cannot overstate just how much I enjoyed spending my day focused on the first instrument that reeled me into music education in the first place! Here's hoping it's the first of many, many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment