Wednesday, April 20, 2016

So I Have This Idea...(pt 4)

Just a quick update as we've been interrupted by Spring Break, state testing, and finishing prep for State Band Festival in the few days we have been able to meet. Once we get to May, we'll really start focusing on this project and music again.

  • We had our first group that really struggled late last week. While I tried to be understanding because of the breaks in regular playing, they were fairly unprepared which made for some major frustrations and ill-spent time. They'll be trying again next week.
  • After doing a short survey on Google Forms, we'll be going with an application process.  The questions I have as a part of the application so far are:
    • What is the job of a conductor?
    • I want to be student conductor because...
    • I think I'm best qualified because...
    • How will you handle issues that may arise with your friends if you have to make corrections or ask them to be quiet?
    • Sometimes things go wrong in a performance. What would you do if the band became seperated during the concert.
  • Students will also submit a video of themselves conducting a recording of the piece. I'd rather do them in person, but with so many students relying on the bus for transportation, it makes doing things before or after school challenging. 
  • I'm going to get input from a few other teachers once the applications are in.
Anything else I should include in the application process? Other thoughts?

Read here for:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment